Pages

January 10, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me

So my birthday happened over the past weekend, and it got me thinking about when I turned 21 and had my first (memorable) experience with beer.  I'm sure I had some tastes here and there before then, but it wasn't anything mind-blowing, and generally left me with a general feeling of ambivalence when it came to our favorite malt beverage.

If you hadn't guessed already, my birthday is at the beginning of January, a time when college students are typically home on winter break.  I'm not entirely sure how I convinced my parents to let me go down to college for my 21st birthday; I'm pretty sure I mentioned something about undergraduate research and chemistry or something... But let me go they did.  (Although, looking back at it now, I'm pretty sure they knew exactly what I was doing, but does it really matter?)

My roommate at the time and I made the trek out on that cold winter's night to the only pub at the University of Illinois that I trusted on that fateful night:  Murphy's.  Now, it may not have technically been 21 years old as I approached the bar, since the clocks had not yet struck midnight, but with a little sweet talking the bartendress (is that the proper term for a female bartender? bartendrix?)  handed me my first beer.

What did I order?  Well, as I was pretty much a total neophyte when it came to beer, all I knew was not to get one of the big three.  Beyond that, I was an impressionable youth.  And that, my dear readers, was one of the very few times in my life that I allowed advertising to make a choice for me.  So what was my order?



That's right.  Fosters.

What can I say?  The giant oil can persuaded me.  I wondered what made it so special.  And the beer told me... a large advertising budget and a catchy slogan.

I did learn something else that fateful night.  The Fosters we get here in the USA isn't Australian; it's Canadian.  That's right.  Fosters:  It's Australian for Canadian for Beer.

Cheers. Na zdrowie. Gun bae.

No comments:

Post a Comment